Wow, now Rachel is way ahead of me!!
Okay. Joy. What is it?
I think that probably the book in the Bible most concentrated on JOY is the book of Philippians. "Joy" and "Rejoice" are used over and over and over again.
When you think about this from an unbeliever's perspective, it's pretty confusing. Read this from 2 Corinthians 11:23b-28: "I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles, in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches."
It seems hard to believe that anyone could have gone through all (or, at the time, most of it) sit in prison, and write such a joy filled letter, doesn't it? Read it for yourself. Here are some quotes from Philippians: "Yes, and I will continue to rejoice..." "I am glad and rejoice with all of you. So you too should be glad and rejoice with me." "Finally my brothers, rejoice in the Lord!" "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!"
Non-believers shake their heads. How can a man be so happy while sitting in prison, being whipped, being shipwrecked, facing growing pressures, etc????
Answer: He most likely wasn't happy. HAPPY/JOY is the way most think of them. Nothing can be further from the truth. One can be joyful and not appear happy. You could describe them like this: Happiness comes from outside of you. Joy comes from inside of you.
In other words, Joy comes from God. Here are some of Paul's explanations of why he is joyful: "Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus may overflow on account of me." Phil. 1:25-26.
Paul's hope was in the Lord. "But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ- the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith."
Paul had "the joy, joy, joy, joy, down in his heart." Although his outward circumstances did not look good, it did not destroy his inward joy in Christ. Most people think of happiness and joy like this: HAPPY/JOY. They are wrong. Instead of HAPPY/JOY, it is HAPPY vs. JOY.
Happiness:
~often needs luxuries and comforts
~is dependant on outward circumstances
~disappears very easily
~cannot last
Joy:
~does not need luxuries and comforts
~is not depenent on outward circumstances
~does not disappear
~will last
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment